Diving & snorkeling
Diving and snorkeling are among major attractions in Bali. You can see various marine creatures, such as colorful tropical fish and coral reefs. The best time for those activities is during the dry season, from April to October.
Where are the most interesting spots?
– Nusa Penida & Nusa Lembongan: Located in the islands at 20km from the East of Sanur. It takes between 40 minutes to 1h30 to go there by boat from Sanur or Padangbai. The water is clear and you can easily find turtles, manta ray, sunfish as well as corals. Diving from 5 to 40 meters, the tide is strong and cold, this spot is more appropriate to advanced divers.
– Padangbai: Located at the North-East of Sanur, you can dive between 3 and 20 meters. Same as Nusa Penida and Lembongan, the tide can be powerful and cold, you have to be careful if you are a beginner.
– Amed: Located in the North-East of Bali. Diving from 5 to 40 meters. There is beautiful seabed where you could find sea sponge and anemone. You can access by “jukung” which is the traditional boat.
– Tulamben: Located a couple of kilometers away from the South-West of Amed. It is one of the most interesting spots in Bali because you can find the wreck of the “USS Liberty”, an American boat sank by the Japanese army during WW2. You can find many sorts of fish and marine species inside the wreck. It is one of the most amazing sport in Bali, you can dive from 3 to 30 meters. It is recommended, especially for the first experience in diving.
You can surf every day in Bali. Surfing was introduced by Australian surfers at the end of 60’s, and since then, Bali is a paradise for surfers. The island offers a various choice of beaches and breaks and also perfect waves to ride on. Kuta and Uluwatu are recognized for their amazing surfing waves.
Be careful if you are a novice, there is a lot of amazing spots around the island but a very good level is needed. If you want to admire the surf champion, you can go on the cliff of Uluwatu.
Otherwise, if you want to try this sport, the best location is Kuta and Legian. They are the easiest and most beginner beaches to try your surfing skills.
The best spots:
– Kuta Beach – appropriate for beginners: Beach is close to the nightlife and tourist center of Legian, it is crowded most of the time. The soft tide and average height of the waves make it a good spot for the beginners. There is a lot of lifeguards which is a good thing if anyone has a problem. Moreover, it is a place where you can take a surfing lesson, you just have to ask one of the people who rents boards.
– Canggu – beginner/intermediate: Located close to Seminyak, 30 minutes from Kuta. It is a famous sport where everyone can surf, but it can be more challenging, it depends of the tide. The waves aren’t extreme but when the tide is up it can become more difficult. This area is quieter than in Kuta, this is a friendly place.
– Keramas Beach – intermediate/expert: Located after Sanur, this spot is one of the most famous in Bali. It is a spot for professional surfers. There are big swell and constant waves.
– Uluwatu – intermediate/expert: It is one of the most famous spots in Bali so it is often crowded. Be careful with the reef, you should be equipped. This spot is only for an intermediate surfer, there are some risks like shallow water, reefs and the crowd of other surfers.
– Padang-Padang – Expert : Maybe the most famous surfing beach, there is a lot of surfing competition in Padang-Padang. It is strictly for professional surfers because it is the most dangerous and most hollow wave in Bali. The size of the waves differs from 4 to 12 feet.
Rafting can be an original way to discover the amazing landscapes of jungle and rice fields in Bali. It is a great activity which mixes sport and fun. You can practice it in the Ayung River
in Ubud or the Telaga Waja River in Sidemen. There is a lot of companies in the island which propose rafting tours, it is often proposed with a driver to lead you from your place until the activity, a guide who gives you advices and provides you security during the tour and sometimes additional packs for lunch during the day. Moreover, the minimum age to practice rafting is 7, it is an activity that you can enjoy in family.
– Telaga Waja River: it is one of the longest white water river rafting route with 16 km of breathtaking and various landscape that you can enjoy. From rice field, waterfall and tropical jungle. This is suitable for beginners and intermediate.
– Ayung River: it is also a river rafting tour on a white water river with relaxing rafting activities. It is suitable for beginners and first timer in rafting trips. You also can enjoy a beautiful landscape of dense vegetations and rice fields in Ubud.
There are others water activities to practice in family, with your friends or alone. You could
find some nautic activities in the beaches like jet ski or kitesurf. Whatever you’re looking for, you won’t be bored in Bali.